Tuesday, May 12, 2009

If You Dare Marshmallow Peanutbutter Cookies


I remember one summer when I was 13, we stayed at a camp on Ripley Pond up in Maine until my mom and dad could afford to find us a house to rent where we could go to school. (Mind you this camp was just that -- no running water what-so-ever). Every payday my dad would drive the mile and a half dirt road into camp holding two Heavenly Hash ice creams on sugar cones for my sister and me. The ice cream would be melting down his hand and arm as he handed the summer treats to us. Those were the best ice cream cones EV-AAAR! For some reason this cookie experience that I had in our kitchen made me think of those ice cream cones and what my dad did for me and my sister that summer. :)

I learned a valuable lesson. If you have never heard of something in a recipe, the chances are pretty good that there is a reason for that. No one really likes to share their failures. Not that they really failed, but they definitely wouldn't win any prize for presentation. Some of them were okay, but most of them had to be formed back into a round shape after they were pried off the cookie sheet. A big clump of cookie crumb. One of those "don't judge a book by it's cover" recipes. But, like those Heavenly Hash ice cream cones, on a hot summer day, they were yummy. Here it is, if you dare:


½ cup butter flavored Crisco (add 3 tsp water to this) or margarine
½ cup crunchy peanut butter
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar (packed)
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 tbsp vanilla (if you use real extract, only use 1 tsp)
1 cup all purpose flour
¾ cup old fashioned rolled oats
¾ cup swirled chocolate & white morsels
1 ½ cup mini marshmallows

Beat butter and peanut butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the two sugars, baking powder and baking soda and cream together, scraping sides of bowl until combined. Add egg and vanilla and blend well. Beat in flour and oats. Add marshmallows and morsels and mix in with a wooden spoon. Preheat oven to 375ยบ. Drop by tablespoons on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 7-9 minutes. Remove (pry... ha ha ha) from cookie sheet immediately and cool on wire racks.

© Crackerberries 2009

No comments: