Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Scoopmire's Italian Steak

It seems Crackerberries is going in the direction of my new venture... I'm in the process of writing a cookbook as well as trying to make some money at what I love to do... cooking, canning, baking, all that jazz. I've decided to share some of my favorite recipes on my blog...(the new me is going to (try) to post a new delicious recipe each day... okay, okay, so we'll see how things go, huh? :)

The first recipe I'd like to share comes from my friend Leslie. I made this and it was (in true Maine form) "WICKED GOOD"!!!! I did make a couple alterations from her recipe... I didn't exactly know what "round steak" was. Tall Cool One and I were grocery shopping and I asked him, "What's a round steak?" He looked at me funny. I said, "They all look round to me."

We ended up with a chuck roast and cut it up in cubes and marinated it in Robusto Italian dressing for ½ hour prior to cooking. Instead of the EVOO, I cooked it right in the Italian dressing. Also 1½ tsp. of pepper was plenty spicy enough for our taste buds. We had it over spaghetti instead of rice and we added a little mozarella cheese as well as the parmesan. It was a definite keeper so that is why I'm sharing it with you. Here it is served with bread sticks on the side:


Italian Steak
1 round steak, cubed
1 onion, diced
Extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
½ tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1-2½ tsp black pepper
1½ cups beef broth
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
4 zucchini squash, sliced
Parmesan Cheese
Cooked white rice

Brown steak in EVOO {Extra Virgin Olive Oil}; add onion and garlic; cook until onions are translucent. Add beef broth and remaining seasonings. Bring to a boil and add tomatoes and tomato sauce. Once mixture comes to a boil again, add zucchini, turn heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Serve over hot cooked rice and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
© Crackerberries 2009

1 comment:

BL said...

Actually it is a Wilson recipe. My Mom did not teach me that one. LOL
I am glad you liked it.