Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sweetheart Cake


I have to share the story behind this wonderfully, devine creation. I asked my husband what his favorite kind of cake was and he replied, "Cherry Pie". Hmmm, I thought to myself, never heard of that. Little did I know, he really meant Cherry Pie. So I thought I would really surprise him one day...and this is a winner in our house. Everytime I make it, it comes out better. Hope you like it too.



2 cups flour
1½ sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup milk
½ cup cherry juice
½ Crisco
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1 can cherry pie filling
Cherries and Pecan halves (optional)



Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, cherry juice and shortening in a large mixing bowl until well blended. Add egg whites and vanilla and beat on high for 3 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes. Let cool on racks for 5 minutes and then remove from pans and cool completely. Once cooled slice each cake through the middle. Top bottom half with half of the can of cherry pie filling, then add top of cake, spread with frosting, add next bottom and top with cherry pie filling, then add top and frost whole cake. Decorate with cherries and pecans if desired.

FROSTING

¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup cream cheese
½ cup Crisco
1 Tbsp vanilla
4½ cups confectioner’s sugar
3 Tbsp (more or less) half + half

Combine all ingredients except half and half in large mixing bowl and beat well. Add half & half for spreading consistency; store in refrigerator.


© Crackerberries 2011

No comments: