Thursday, September 1, 2011

Southern Yankee Quesadillas




So my husband says the south thinks that us northerners are rude because we give a yes or no answer and don't elaborate.  My husband and I are from the north, Maine to be specific.  Now we are from the south (home is where your heart is, right?)   I think the south has stereo typed the north and the north has stereo typed the south.  I think I should have been from the south because I have never been good at just "yes" or just "no" ... I always give way more information than is necessary.  Do you see what I'm saying here?  Anyways, here's today's recipe... I call it southern yankee ... as long as it tastes good, does it matter what came first? The chicken or the egg?


6 flour tortillas (I make my own so I can make them thicker than the ones bought at the store.
1½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups chili pepper in adobo sauce
1 lb sirloin tip, sliced into ¼ inch strips
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium green pepper, julienned
3 cloves garlic, minced
1½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
½ cup teriyaki sauce
3-4 shakes angostura bitters

Combine teriyaki sauce and angostura bitters and pour over sirloin.  Let stand at room temperature for 30-45 minutes, marinating. 

Preheat large electric fry pan or griddle to 400º.  Cook tortillas 1-1½ minute per side to brown.

Heat oil in large skillet; add garlic first and cook 2-3 minutes then add onion and green pepper and cook 2-3 minutes longer.  Drain off any liquid from sirloin and add meat to skillet; cook 5-8 minutes until there is no pink left.

Place three tortillas on cookie sheets side by side.  Distribute meat mixture onto each tortilla.  Sprinkle with cheese and spoon 1-2 tablespoons of sauce over each.  Top with remaining tortillas.

Place in preheated 400º oven and cook for 8-10 minutes.  Remove and cut into fourths; serve with leftover chili sauce, sour cream, ranch dressing, etc.



© Crackerberries 2011

No comments: