Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Tomato Jam

Bread Machine
Jamming Tomatoes
 

I love my bread machine for quick experimental jams.  That's right, tomato jam...tomatoes, after all are a fruit.  This one is a definite keeper, although I am hoping it gels up a little more in a few days.

14 Roma tomatoes, cored and peeled (2 ½ cups mashed)
½ cup finely chopped cranberries (I mostly used these for the vibrant red color)
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp allspice
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 3oz package liquid pectin (my bread machine recipe calls for 2 oz of powdered pectin, but I didn’t have any so used what I had)

Place all ingredients in bread machine and select jam option.

Yield: 5 4oz jars


Note: this is not a breakfast jam for English muffins or biscuits, but more of a hot sausage sub condiment to tone down the spiciness of the hot sausage.  I believe it will also be good on meatloaf and pulled pork sandwiches. 


© Crackerberries 2013

No comments: