Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fig Preserves

Old Fashion Fig Preserves

So the fig tree is in full bloom with tons of figs.  I bet there are two three pounds every day.  It is not a problem, I love figs.  But as I was making room in the freezer, I came across 8 pounds (yep, eight pounds) of frozen figs from last year.  Nice problem to have, don’t you agree?  I figured I better get busy so here we go.  This preserves recipe is just as good frozen as it is using fresh figs. 



8 pounds figs, washed, stems removed, and quartered
¼ cup lemon juice
5 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed

Place all ingredients in large preserving pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Simmer on medium-high to high heat, stirring often for 1 ½ - 2 hours, until thick.  Everyone talks about the gel stage being 220° but I don’t think the preserves made it much more than 205°.  You will be able to tell as it thickens. 

Once it is to the desired thickness, remove from heat and spoon into hot sterilized jars.  Process in hot water bath for five minutes; yield 8 ½ pints or 17 - 8 oz jelly jars

© Crackerberries 2013

No comments: