Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Learning on His Terms

I was having myself a little pity-party, hissy-fit, emotional tantrum this morning. I have them pretty regularly, once a month. It's always a different theme but generally family oriented. This one was no exception to the rule. Yesterday I received an email from my loving daughter whining that she hadn't received a letter from me in weeks. The fact that she has not written to me is not the point here.

I just spent the month of September pouring my heart and soul out in hand-written letters to my friends and relatives that I don't have emails for. Unfortunately, I feel pretty confident they intend to keep it that way. My problem is I put too much credence in people. I think they will read my heartfelt letter, read the gospel tract I included with the letter, and then overwhelm me with gratitude for sharing it. Ha! Silly I am, huh? What do you expect? I am a young Christian at heart eager to go out there and save the world.

If there is any wonder why there is backsliding in churches everywhere, I'm willing to bet that's one reason. It's hard enough to try to walk the Christian walk, but then to share it with others. Jesus brought a sword, not peace! Rejection stinks! It appears that it would be easier to go back to the evil ways of the world than to be a vagabond and live the life God wants us to live.

Once a person becomes born-again (2 Corinthians 5:17), relationships and friendships change; some for the worse and some for the better. My personal experience, a number of people think I'm a religious Bible thumping Jesus freak and they ignore me. Others, for some reason, regard born-again as an indication that I think I'm better than everyone else, when that's not the case at all. I still have my short-comings, sure. Everyone does. But I'm still the same person; I've just changed my evil ways.

I have noticed that the people in my life that had a hard time understanding why I changed are usually the ones that don't comprehend God's Word. It is easier for them to disregard me and my faith than to try to be pleased about it. It's a hard road to walk. I pray a lot. I miss some of my old friendships. It has taken me a long time, about 19 months, to realize things are never going to be the same. I have a hard time accepting that; hence the hissy-fits. But I keep on keeping on. Just like Paul told Timothy, "Fight the good fight . . ." — and I will.

Until next time,

© Crackerberries 2008

No comments: