Friday, March 18, 2011

New England Boiled Dinner

Most people think of corned beef and cabbage as the traditional Saint Patrick’s Day dinner. It’s actually a New England boiled dinner. We ate most of it before I realized I didn’t take a picture, so I tried to make the leftovers presentable. Traditionally a New England boiled dinner is made with parsnips or turnips; parsnips give me hives so I replaced them with beets. That will work out perfect for my corned beef hash tomorrow.



4 lbs corned beef
1 package of petites carrots
1 medium onion, quartered
3 large potatoes, peeled & quartered
3 fresh beets
1 head cabbage cut into wedges
2 bay leaves
1 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp basil leaves

Cover meat with cold water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered 4 hours.

Add cabbage, cook for 15 minutes.

Quarter beets and place in separate sauce pan to cook for about 45 minutes. (I cook the beet separately so that they do not turn the other vegetables red).

Add potatoes and carrots; cook for 30 minutes. Remove meat and cut into pieces; place vegetables strategically around meat.

Serve with horseradish mustard and plenty of vinegar for the cabbage and beets. The pumpernickel bread in the background will make for excellent Rueben’s tonight.

© Crackerberries 2011

No comments: