Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Recycled Macaroni Salad

After cooking for teen-agers … (boy, can’t they put the food away?) sometimes I still find myself cooking to feed an army. Sometimes the ideas I come up with to do with the leftovers are a disaster … other times they turn out to be a blessing. I remember when I told my mother about this one, she said, “UGH, that’s just gross!” The truth of the matter is it didn’t really sound too appetizing, but I have to say, once we tried it, it was a definite keeper!




4 cups leftover macaroni salad


(I make my macaroni salad with a combo of mayo, Miracle Whip, chopped sweet pickles, green peppers, onions, green olives, peas, tuna fish and onion and a bunch of different spices)


2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 small onion, finely chopped
¼ tsp pepper
2½ cups milk
1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
6 slices American cheese
¾ cups crushed potato chips



In a medium sauce pan cook the onion in the butter over medium heat until tender. Add flour and pepper to create paste. Add milk stirring constantly; cook and stir constantly over medium heat, until slightly thickened and bubbly. Add cheeses and stir until melted. Combine with macaroni salad and transfer to a 2-qt. casserole dish. Sprinkle with crushed potato chips. Bake at 350ยบ for 30-45 minutes until bubbly and heated through. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.


© Crackerberries 2009

No comments: