Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dog Days of Summer Iced Tea


August always brought about the dog days of summer. I remember my grandmother always saying to me, “don’t plague the dog, he’ll go mad”. Never really knew what that meant other than it was so dang hot outside, who wants someone plaguing ‘em? They were wicked hot days and the nights weren’t any cooler. My Mimi would make ice tea and cucumber sandwiches and say that would cool us off. It was good. I remember at night lying on the grass watching the lightening bugs and looking up at the stars. I was amazed at how vast a universe there was out there. The dog days have rolled around again. I wonder what happened to the lightening bugs, still I am in awe of God’s creation and I recall how good a mason jar of homemade iced tea tastes … just like my Mimi used to make.

8 tea bags
2 quarts cold water

1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Place tea bags and cold water in a large glass jug. Set in the sun for a day. Remove tea bags and refrigerate. Sweeten with homemade syrup.

Combine 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar in saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Cool and store in fridge.




© Crackerberries 2009

No comments: