Thursday, August 6, 2009

Cherry Tomato Chow Chow

Chow Chow Chow


Typically I only put my own recipes on here, but Tim from CCL asked if I was going to have it posted and so…here it is. I found this recipe in the August edition of Cooking Light when I was trying to find something to do with all of the cherry tomatoes we had. You can serve this will beans, field peas, ham, chicken, burgers or on hot dogs, bratwurst or even on a turkey burger. You might even try it on a veggie roll-up.


2¼ cups white vinegar
1½ cups sugar
18 black peppercorns
9 whole allspice seeds
1½(3-inch) cinnamon sticks
6 cups chopped seeded tomato (I just chopped the cherry tomatoes)
4 cups chopped green cabbage
1½ cup chopped green pepper
1½ cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1¼ tsp salt
2 Serrano chili peppers, minced



Combine vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, allspice and cinnamon in large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook one minute and add veggies and salt. Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature; discard cinnamon sticks. Place tomato mixture in air tight containers and store in refrigerator for up to three weeks. Chow chow grows tastier with time.

I think you could probably process this in a boiling bath for 15-20 minutes, if you were of a mind to put some up for winter.

© Crackerberries 2009

No comments: