Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tartarmingus

Tartarmingus

Ever heard of Tartarmingus?  Me either.  I did a web search to see if I could come up with anything but I could not.  I am going to apply my own definition to it because this morning when I woke up it was in my head.  Right when I woke up I knew what it meant, I knew everything about it.  I knew so much about it, that when I made my sleepy-eyed way out to the coffee pot to pour myself a fresh hot cup of homemade apple pie spiced coffee, I scratched T-A-R-T-A-R-M-I-N-G-U-S across the white board my husband graciously installed in my office for me.  Like so many times before I thought if I wrote it down, when it came time for me to actually sit down and write about it, the memories I had when I first woke up would come back to me.  Not so; not this time.
Tartarmingus means absolutely nothing.  I cannot even begin to remember the thoughts that were on the tip of my mind when I woke up.  Isn’t that the way it goes when we wake up in the morning?  That dream we are having is so vivid and real be it good or bad, but when we wake up it is just below the subconscious, gone, never to return.  Tartarmingus: the thought that is the last thing on ones mind right before waking up.
God’s word sometimes can be like that for me.  I read something or something comes up in a Bible study and it is so fresh and vibrant right then while I am studying it.  But sometimes I loose sight of what I was taught and I experience Tartarmingus. 
For example the other day some Jehovah’s Witnesses came to my door.  Now I have nothing against them.  They are very nice people, misguided, but very nice people.  They were showing me and telling me all about this book they wanted me to read (The Watchtower) and how the Bible is inspired by God.  I knew exactly how I wanted to respond and it was right on the tip of my tongue but for some reason I was hit with Tartarmingus and I drew a blank.  Later that evening as I was reading and pondering over God’s word everything I wanted to share with them came back to me.  Then I realized that my Tartarmingus was God telling me to be quiet.  Sometimes we jump on things too soon and then we loose the opportunity to really show God’s love.
Deuteronomy 12:26-28 Behold, I set before you today a blessing and a curse; the blessing if you obey the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you today; and the curse, if you do not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside from the way which I command you today, to go after other gods which you have not known.
Whether we want to believe it or not God uses us in mysterious ways.  I wanted to blast those JW’s with everything I knew that was wrong with their faith and belief.  I had all the Scripture I was going to use (John 1:1-5, 14) and I wanted to make them see how they were wrong.   Although my heart was right and I had good intentions, it would not have been done out of love and God said, “No, that is not the way I want you to do it.”  Maybe there will be another opportunity and maybe there will not… I do not know.  I do know that God is in control of everything.   I pray for Him to work in me and use me to bring glory to Him and if Tartarmingus is necessary so be it.

© Crackerberries 2011

No comments: