Thursday, November 17, 2011

Twelve Days of Thanksgiving — I

Twelve Days of Thanksgiving
I is for Idolatry
Everyone has heard of the 12 Days of Christmas.  I thought I would do my version of the 12 days of Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving:  the act of giving thanks; a prayer of gratitude to God.
Idolatry: The worship of idols or gods supposedly dwelling in images or represented by them; excessive admiration or devotion.
Ephesians 5:5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
I had to look into myself to effectively write this article.  As I looked around my desk area I was exposed to some of the items that would be considered idols; zebra knick-knacks, a huge pen collection, different colored stationary, to name a few.  They are items I can do without by all means, but they are things that I surround myself with at my desk and I seem to collect and hold value to.  Not something I am in any hurry to get rid of.

It is easy for me to look at people and presume what they idolize.  Men that spend their Sunday afternoons camped out on the couch obviously have a high regard for whatever sport they are watching on the boob tube.  Women that are adorned with oodles of jewelry and smell like they bathed in the latest new scent of perfume either have a self esteem problem or are trying to impress someone.  The teenager following his parents around in the grocery store clicking away at the device in his hand clearly would rather be somewhere else.  The three year old sitting in the shopping cart screaming at the top of her lungs for the green stuffed frog instead of the pink stuffed bear is providing her parents a teaching moment regarding idolatry.  The parent fails the test, idolizes the child’s desire, gives into her demands and thus the little girl learns in order to get her way, all she needs to do is scream.

Anytime we go against the Word of God, we are giving into idolatry.  The second commandment instructs us “You shall not make for yourself a carved image — any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth, you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.  For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God…” Exodus 20:4-5  I remember when I first learned the Ten Commandments I was so proud of myself for the ones that I hadn’t committed.  Then I learned what Jesus said about the commandments and I came to realize that if we are completely honest with ourselves we have broken every commandment created.  The law was created so that we could see how we are sinners and recognize the need for our Savior, Jesus Christ. 

What do you idolize?   Is it an I-gadget: I-phone, I-pad, I-pod, or maybe it is a television show or a movie star or a singer or an athlete, or maybe its food or a diet or exercise, or how about your job, your car, your reputation in the community, or it could be as modest your spouse, your parents, your children?   Anytime something other than God is put first it is considered idolatry.  God is jealous and hates all types of idolatry.

1 Corinthians 10:14 Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.


© Crackerberries 2011

No comments: