Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Twelve Days of Thanksgiving — S

S is for Self-_________
Everyone has heard of the 12 Days of Christmas.  I thought I would do my version of the 12 days of Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving:  the act of giving thanks; a prayer of gratitude to God.
A wise man fears and departs from evil, but a fool rages and is self-confident.  Proverbs 14:16

Self: the identity or character of any person; one’s own person as distinct from all others; one’s own interests or advantage.

There are 74 “self-blank” words in the dictionary that I use.  I have incorporated 36 of them in this blog.  That has to say something for how important the word is itself.  Isn’t it so easy to look at a person and see how they are wrapped up in their self-importance?  They talk all about what they’ve done, what they are doing and what they are going to do.  Do you know people like that? 

When I first began this Twelve Days of Thanksgiving challenge I was not expecting the acronym to be so self-revealing.  I have learned so much about myself and now that we are on the “S-word” I don’t think there is a better word than “self-something” to plunge into. 

It is self-evident that I have been self-absorbed with this challenge.  I see how other people are self-occupied with their own self-conceitedness, but once I turned the word around on myself, I am guilty of the same self-centeredness that I blame others for.

I decided to take a look at myself to see how self-involved I was.  Once upon a time I was self-serving and my self-confidence was at a high level.  I was self-aggrandizing and I didn’t care who I stepped on.  I didn’t need anyone; I was self-sufficient and very self-satisfied.  Eventually my self-will and my self-interest became lonely and I realized that my self-made situation was all well if I wanted to spend the rest of my life by myself.  I started to get involved in self-abusive behavior and my self-catering began to take a toll on my self-control.  I was self-indulging more than I should have been and my self-seeking lifestyle was not healthy.  I needed to stop the self-deception and self-justification I created and gain control of my self-respect.

The first thing that had to happen was to lower my self-esteem and practice a little self-denial.  This was not self-acting on my part and although it took some self-determination, it all started with self-reproach.  After that the self-preservation process started and I became aware of self-abnegation and self-sacrifice. 

Today’s “S-Word” is somewhat self-opinionated.  I didn’t want to write it in a self-righteous tone but I think that it is important to step back and look inside ourselves.  We should always remember where we came from and how we got where we are.  And every once in awhile it is good to ask ourselves, “Self, what is your self-confession? What is your self-worth?” 

Deliberating ourselves at all, we should always look to the ONE who gave Himself for us.  For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son to die on the cross so that who ever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.  John 3:16.  That is the ultimate “S-word” self-sacrifice.  Thank You, God.  Amen.



© Crackerberries 2011

No comments: