Thursday, April 13, 2023

KartoffelKloesse - Feeding the Flock 23

 


6 small potatoes, peeled and halved
¼ tsp salt
1 egg 
¼-½ cup flour
¼ cup bread crumbs
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

½ cup butter
¼ cup chopped onion
2 tbsp. bread crumbs

(Optional- not German style) 
2 tbsp. bacon bits
¼ cup shredded cheddar

Boil potatoes about 20 minutes, drain, and mash, leaving them slightly lumpy.  Combine with salt, egg, flour, ¼ cup bread crumbs, and nutmeg.  Mix well and shape into small balls.  A small ice cream scoop works wonders.  If dough is too sticky, add a little more flour or bread crumbs.

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.  Gently drop the dumplings into the water.   When they rise to the surface set the timer for 3 minutes and let them boil (uncovered) for 3 minutes.  Remove with a slotted spoon, place in serving dish and keep warm.

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat and add onions and the 2 tbsp. bread crumbs.  Cook, stirring often until the onions are tender and the sauce has thickened.

Pour sauce over dumplings and serve.

Add bacon bits and cheddar (optional) because they definitely need something to add a little flavor to them.  I also added some hot sauce and considered ketchup.

Enjoy,



Don't forget to check out the Kiss-devotional.






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look delicious. I usually make flour dumplings, but would like to try these for a change. Hope you are having a great A to Z!

Molly's Canopy said...

These look delicious. I usually make flour dumplings, but would like to try these for a change. Hope you are having a great A to Z

Kristin said...

I never knew German potato salad was actually dumplings. This is more work than I'm going to do. I just stop at the mix it all together point.

Tamara said...

A German dish, my neighbor country! Way to go!

https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2023/04/keys.html

Misky said...

Interesting!

Anne Young said...

My maternal heritage is German and my grandmother used to make. I am afraid I cheat and like using the innovative boil-in-a-bag dumplings - they are very clever but not suitable for feeding large numbers of people. I serve them with frankfurters and red cabbage.

Visiting from A to Z
https://anneyoungau.wordpress.com/