Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Unleavened Bread - Feeding the Flock 23

 



If you have been following a long,  you know I have been trying to come up with recipes for the sourdough starter that my friend gave me at Christmas time.  All of the recipes I could find have all included YEAST in the recipe.  Of course I've been working mine in the bread machine (because it's faster and easier). Any hoot, I did not use any yeast in these two loaves. 


SUNFLOWER SEED BREAD                                        BASIC UNLEAVENED

½ cup beer sourdough starter                                              ½ cup sourdough starter 
½ cup buttermilk                                                                 ½ cup buttermilk   
2 tbsp. grapeseed oil                                                            2 tbsp. melted butter
¼ cup brown sugar                                                              1½ tsp honey
2 cups all-purpose flour                                                       3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour                                                      1½ tsp. salt
2 tbsp. slivered almonds
¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
1½ tsp. salt


Place ingredients in bread machine in order listed. (Note there are two different loaves of bread there).  Set for the dough cycle.  Once cycle stops, remove from bread machine, create loaf and let rise 45-60 minutes.  (It will not rise much...it's unleavened).  Bake in 375º oven for 30-35 minutes.  This is a very dense bread.  I thought it was going out to the offering corner (where the wild animals feed), but I tried it as toast, and it makes really good toast.   Not one of my best recipes, but I couldn't find the Unicorn Kibbles that I wanted to make.

Enjoy,





1 comment:

Kristin said...

Doesn't sourdough started count as leavening?
I don't have any, but I do make flat bread that (strangely) uses yeast. I wonder if it would be the same without.