Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Chili

 


BEANS:

16 oz. dry red kidney beans
½ cup sugar
½ ketchup
¼ cup molasses
2 tsp. dry mustard
½ cup chopped onion
¼ lb. salt pork

Salt and pepper.

Soak beans overnight, drain, rinse, and put in crock pot with just enough water to cover.  Add ingredients and cook on high for 3 hours (DO NOT TAKE COVER OFF DURING THIS COOKING TIME)  Turn down to low and cook 5-6 more hours.

CHILI

1¼ lb. chopped steak, (leftovers from Tall Cool ☺ne's grilling)
1 pkg. hot sausage links, removed from casing
1 qt. stewed tomatoes (from last year's garden)
1 can tomato paste
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp. minced garlic
4 tbsp. chili powder
1-2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. basil
2 tbsp. paprika

Cook sausage and drain off grease. Add all other ingredients and let simmer for about 1½-2 hours.


The thing I like about chili is no matter how many times I make it, it always seems to get better.  Even when I follow my favorite recipe, I add something or change something and it always gets better. Recipes are like that.  They can always be improved upon.  

Do you have a favorite chili recipe?  Do share with me.

This is part of the A-Z blogging challenge.  Be sure to visit other players and don't forget to check out Crackerberries.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

Alana said...

Being on Weight Watchers, we've been leaning more towards a white chili made with chicken. But when I lived for about eight months in Texas back when, I learned a lot about chili and even attended a chili festival. One thing I liked about your recipe was not using ground beef. In Texas, they sold a chopped beef for addition to chili in the supermarkets.

Torie Lennox said...

Oh wow! There's probably a chili recipe out there for every third person on the planet, meaning you can just keep trying new ways. I've never made one like this - it sounds absolutely delicious!