Friday, April 26, 2024

Watergate Salad

 





Okay I'm cheating. (This is actually my grandmother's version.) To be honest, I think hers is way better than the original Watergate Salad.  I've also included a copy of her original recipe

2 eggs, beaten 

½ cup sugar 

Dash salt 

1 cup whipped cream 

1 large can fruit salad, drained, reserve liquid 

7 cherries, halved 

1 can orange mandarin, drained, reserve liquid 1

 small can pineapple chunks, drained, reserve liquid 

1-2 bananas, sliced and sprinkled with lemon juice 

10-15 grapes, halved 

1 pkg. small colored marshmallows 

1 cup chopped walnuts 

½ cup coconut flakes 


Heat juices, eggs, sugar and salt in sauce pan; cook until thickened and bubbly. Stir often. Cool and fold in cream. Set aside. Combine remaining ingredient and gently mix well. Pour dressing over top and fold the fruit in to blend. If desired, sprinkle with tinted coconut, and scoop a dollop of mayonnaise tinted with cherry juice and flavored with honey on top of the salad before serving.

Enjoy♥

This is part of the A-Z blogging challenge.  Don’t forget to visit some of the other bloggers in the challenge and also check out Crackerberries




2 comments:

Lisa said...

I collect those comb bound fundraiser cookbooks, and quite a few have a recipe for Watergate salad. I've never enjoyed these sorts of "salads," although my second date with my late husband has a five cup salad his mother made.

Kristin said...

I know I will never make such a dish. The recipe looks like those I've saved from my mother.