Saturday, April 27, 2024

Hot X Buns


I am sorry for the delay and I appreciate you checking back.  We had company so I was a little behind today.


¾ cup fat free milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 large eggs

4 tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces

2¾ cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup white rice flour

¼ cup sugar

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. ground cloves

2½ tsp. bread machine yeast

 

2/3 cups dried cranberries

 

¾ cup confectioner’s sugar

1 tsp. lemon extract

2 tbsp. half & half

 

Place first 10 ingredients in bread machine hopper, in order shown.  Program for the dough cycle.  Pres start and let cycle through.

 

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  When the machine beeps at end of cycle, power off the machine and immediately turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface.  Pat dough into large rectangle.  Sprinkle with dried cranberries and press in.  Fold the dough into thirds and knead a few times to incorporate the fruit.

 

Divide the dough in half and roll each portion into a 10” log.  Cut six equal portions and form each portion into a ball.  Place buns two inches apart on baking sheet.  Cover with dish cloth and let rise until doubled in size (about 45 minutes).

 

Preheat oven to 375ยบ

 

Using a sharp paring knife, gently cut a cross into each bun.  Bake in preheated oven 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.

 

While buns are baking, prepare the icing.  Whisk the confectioner’s sugar, lemon extract and half & half together in a small bowl.  Beat until the icing is smooth and firm.

 

Remove rolls from oven and place on cooling rack.  Place the icing in a pastry bag, or I use a zip-lock bag (throw away and less clean up) and pipe a cross over the top of each indentation where the cut is on the bun.  Let stand for about 20-25 minutes to set before serving.

 

Enjoy♥

© Crackerberries 2024








This is part of the A-Z blogging challenge.  Don’t forget to visit some of the other bloggers in the challenge and also check out Crackerberries!



4 comments:

Kristin said...

I used to make hot cross buns on Good Friday when my children were home.
Looking forward to the recipe.

Crackerberries said...

Thanks for checking in Kristin...I would love to see your recipe. This is my first time making these and I really like them. They were easy in the bread machine.

jmd CREATIVE said...

These look delicious, wish I had a bread machine. I didn't realize you could use it in this way, thought it was only to bake the bread / use in place of the oven.

Lisa said...

I like this better than with the citron my mother loved. There was one bakery in town she'd visit to get them just the once a year. Nice use of a bread machine. I hate kneading!